Friday, August 13, 2010

a week at home

Are you ready for a crazy developmental update? Because you better believe this mama feels the need to blog about all of this, so please bear with me.

Monday - we had cream of wheat for breakfast, and Isaac really enjoyed it. He liked the chunks of cheese in the cream of wheat too. He started saying "nana" for "banana". He has been saying "uh-oh" a lot since last Friday and it seems like his vocabulary went through a little expansion lately. He is saying or signing a lot of things consistently, but they don't all bear resemblance to the real word. Mama, papa, hi, and bye all sound like they should. Ball is sounding better. It's pretty hard to tell the difference between basketball (or is it ball ball?), Bouba (that cartoon) and baby. Then there is the famous "da" which means shoe. And I have decided that "da da" means "shoes on". As I said "nana" is now being said for "banana", but "nana" also refers to Nana and Lana (who is his main teacher at daycare). He says "dega" which we think is an approximation of "Regarde" which means "look" in French. Papa reminded me that Isaac says "no" a lot. How could I forget that one? He also says "na" when he needs my hand for help in getting somewhere. Not sure what it's supposed to mean, but it's consistent! Also, his word for "water" is changing. Right now it is also "na na", I think. That's a change from "bluhluhluh" but I'm not sure why the word isn't closer to either "water" or "l'eau". Isaac only has "stops" and "nasals" down pat which are the consonants b/p, d/t, and g/k and m and n, but just started also saying "f" and "v". He also says "dai" for "light", and also says "no" to request his favorite food, but with a slightly different intonation than the other "no".

When you say "yay!" Isaac claps his hands. When you say "thank you", he pats his chest. That sign actually means "please" more or less, but I'm not really sure how he means it. It is consistent, andit's his own little response to "thank you". He has started to pat his chest when I say "Isaac" and pats my chest when I say "mama". He can find his nose or my nose when you ask him "Where's Isaac's/Mama's nose?" with about 50% accuracy. I'd say he doesn't quite understand the possessive thing yet, just the nose part. I've tried to teach him a few other body parts but he seems to be obsessed with the noses right now. Given that mine sticks out nicely, just asking to be grabbed in any sort of peekaboo game, I'm not surprised. I've heard him also repeat "no" for nose. Like I said, the consonants and vowels and syllable structures he is capable of using right now kind of make everything sound the same. But Mamas and Papas know what their babies are saying! As before, he signs "more" and "all done", which I find very helpful. Sometimes he vocalizes to accompany these signs, but I'm never quite sure if it's just a coincidence. Anyways, here's one picture before I launch into more observations.
Ah yes, so Monday and Tuesday - we watched our neighbor's sweet little 1 month old baby and their 9 year old, who is the one that really likes Isaac. Their baby was so chill and easygoing. She was so cute and smelled like a new baby. :) I almost forgot about the new baby smell. Isaac loved the little baby and tried to give her a lot of kisses on the head. He also tried to climb up on her crib to check on her and say "hi". He has started to climb on everything. This observation was corroborated later in the week with his daycare teachers, who have noticed that all the little boys his age are climbing to dangerous heights. Here is a video of Isaac trying out some new physical movements. Tuesday was also the day we visited Grandma Hurliman.

Wednesday - Mama made some pancakes. Was Isaac impressed? Not really. Wednesday Mama's friend Mary came over for dinner, so Mama cooked a lot of things, but they were all pretty easy - just leave them and come back later - like ribs, bread, and steamed artichoke. We went to the natural foods place on the corner and lucked out because we found 2 artichokes freshly put on the 50% off produce shelf. Remove a few of the outer leaves, steam them up, and they taste great! They also have a great thing where everytime you go in there with your kid, they get a free banana. So, of course Isaac got a free banana. There were also samples of 4 different kinds of melons. Initially, Isaac was hesitant to taste. By the time we got back from selecting our artichokes, Isaac was throwing himself bodily towards the samples. So, he had a few more samples. Then one of the ladies working there asked if he would like some blueberries, so she gave him a few blueberries to eat too. This boy loves his fruits and vegetables. He really is a healthy eater and actively rejects most desserts even if I offer him some. He will look at them, smell them, then push them away, shake his head and tell me "no". It was great to hang out with Mary again, and now I am kind of tempted to go acquire a melon somewhere since Isaac liked them so much.

Thursday - What did we do yesterday? Ah, laundry. That's about it. Oh, yes, we also went to visit Isaac's daycare. On Wednesday he had seen his teacher Lana from afar as she was leaving and said, "Nana?" Later that day (after the daycare was closed), he went over to the building, tried to open the door. He missed his friends! :( Poor little Isaac. So on Thursday, we went to visit the boys and the one girl in his classroom. It sounds like next year there will be another Isaac, one more girl, and two more boys. So, just two girls and then, what, 8 boys? Something like that. Lots of boys. And lots of Isaacs! I knew it was getting to be a more popular name, but, well, I guess Isaac will have to get used to not being the only one at an early age.
Friday/today - Isaac has been really interested in these candles that Grandma had blessed. He keeps grabbing them off the top of the dresser. He keeps trying to eat them, ever since yesterday. Every time, he realizes that they don't taste good, but he keeps trying them out. They do smell good... Still, hopefully he'll learn soon.



Evidently blessed candles can, like many other things, also be used as a phone. "Hi!" says Isaac.

We took a little walk over to campus to do some various errands, then came back and did a little cooking. While Mama was not paying attention, Isaac got a little crazy with a dry erase marker.
So Mama took the dry erase marker away, and Isaac had a little tantrum.
And a little more of being upset. Notice the marker on both legs, the face, and the bottom part of the jumper.
Well, we had a better day after that - we went to one of the parks by our house and Isaac had a blast running all around, going down slides, going on the merry-go-round. I'm so glad there are two more weeks of just hanging out with Isaac with no particular agenda. Well, I have to do a little more of my speech study. Sigh. I don't know - it's fun but... I just want a break. I guess next summer?

1 comment:

  1. Gina! I can't believe how he grows, it never stops! I bet thats what our parent's felt about us. Anywho...

    Guess who is coming to Oregon soon??? Me! Just one more week. I realllllllly want to find a way to see you. What is your schedule like from Aug. 23- Sept 3rd? Wow that is short! Not enough time :(. I am going to try and make it down to Corvallis... maybe all the way to Eugene. Let me know when you're available and I'll try to make it happen. :)

    ReplyDelete