But first, I want to clear some things up about Burkina Faso.
1. It is spelled Burkina Faso. Not BurkinO FasA or another variation on that theme. Burkina Faso means "Land of the Upright People."
2. Burkina Faso is not on the equator. It just isn't.

For more info on Burkina: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/uv.html
In case you forgot where the Equator is, here's a recap:
So, were we here?
Nope.
How about here?
Nope, not here either.
We were here, which is somewhere in the middle. Not as inspiring a landscape as either extreme, but also more mild weather-wise (at least right now). Mid-West anyone? This is what the Savanna looks like.
I have decided that the people are generally what make Burkina interesting and pleasant to visit. There are some beautiful landscapes too, but in the area around the capital city (Ouagadougou, pronounced "wah-gah-doo-goo"), the landscape awe factor is truly lacking. And the "dust" factor is really overpowering. That dust still hasn't washed out of our clothes.
3. When we went, it was "winter" in Burkina (not summer, remember which side of the Equator we are all on). They think it is cold. It is not, for someone coming from winter in the Pacific NW. The temperature lows must have been in the high 50s and the highs were probably in the low 90s. It was cute because they bundled the kids up at night to a level I have never even conceived of for Isaac in the dead of winter here. It would be like wearing ski pants and a coat to bed. Maybe a smart idea if you don't have heating in your house?
So now, dear readers of Isaac's blog, if indeed any do exist, now you have some background on Burkina, and are more fully prepared to enjoy the pictures and video that will follow in the coming days and weeks. Bonne nuit, and Wosso domirekam (God will let us see tomorrow).
Fantastic. I don't really know anything about Burkina Faso .. now I know at least a few things. Looking forward to some pictures.
ReplyDeleteYay! I can't wait to see pictures and hear stories. I've been patiently waiting for your return. Now that I'm back in Oregon hopefully we can get together sometime in the near future :)
ReplyDeleteSo cool! I, too, am looking forward to the pictures and stories from your trip!
ReplyDelete