"Isaac, smile! Okay, try again, this time with your eyes open."
Too many requests for one small boy.
We are visiting Nana and Boompa this weekend! I'm glad we came down. It's good to get away a little and stop thinking about work. Work seems to keep getting busier and it's hard to feel like I'm doing my job well. Maybe things will settle down soon. We had a nice bike ride earlier today. We went down to the beach and then over to the fairgrounds to check out the farmers' market. I think I need to buy and cook a parsnip and a turnip so I can decide whether or not they would be worth growing in the future.
Isaac is going through a very cute stage of being very correct in his grammar (well, with what he does know). Maybe this goes with the overgeneralization of grammatical ending rules. Instead of "yeah," he mostly answers "yes" and enunciates it really clearly. Instead of "I'm" he has been saying "I am." He will say things like "Mama, look at my eyes. I am talking to you." I don't know why, but for some reason I have felt like it is getting harder to understand him lately. He certainly doesn't have more speech sound errors. Right now it's just /sh/, initial r and r-vowels, and /th/ that are hard. He has his /l/ sound in all positions, even at the end of words and in l-clusters. I think maybe it's harder because his vocabulary keeps growing. I could not, even if I quit work and made it my full-time job, possibly write down all the words he knows at this point. They just come out and surprise me every day. This morning he was saying, "Mama, you getting coily he-uh?" I couldn't figure out what that was for a couple seconds, then I realized he was asking if my hair was getting curly, since I had just taken a shower and when it dries it is a bit frizzy and definitely wavy.
He also has started using the word "clever." Not sure where he picked that up from, but he definitely said, "That's very clever" when we were making pancakes this morning. Actually there is a lady that comes to volunteer at daycare who is from New Zealand. I may have found the culprit.
No comments:
Post a Comment