Isaac is starting to learn his letters. I know there are several 3-year-old little girls out there who already know their letters, but for us it is pretty exciting! He has started being interested just recently. The first question was "How do you spell my name?" and he memorized "I-S-A-A-C" (I think I had a video a few weeks ago about that). Then he wanted to know how to spell my name and he learned "M-A-M-A". He is funny, he will say other things are spelled "M-A-M-A". A fabricated example because I can't remember the exact word:
Isaac: "How do you spell fish?"
Mama: "F-I-S-H"
Isaac: "No, that's not it! It's M-A-M-A."
Then, on May 25th, in the morning, he said, "Mama, can you show me some letters?" He wanted to know how to write some letters. I showed him how to write his name and then we practiced the "I" since I figured a single vertical line is developmentally appropriate! Then he surprised me. By a fluke, he wrote an "S" too! Not next to the "I" but still on the same piece of paper. I was really impressed.
We took a video of him today because he was on a roll with the letters on this new sign we got. He found a "G" on a book we were looking at, then found "G" on the sign. It will be fun to see how this develops. This little mister is definitely more into letters than numbers. It seems like a lot of little boys want to learn numbers first so I kept trying to push it, but he has never caught on past "1" and "0". That's okay. Letters are probably more appropriate anyway. Some of the phonemic awareness skills start to develop at this age, but I think the whole concept of what numbers really mean doesn't come until kids are older, like at least 4? Maybe. I mean, kids can rote count before that and sometimes point to one object for each number they say, but tying that number word to a symbol and having it be meaningful? It just seems like a harder concept.
Anyway, here, finally is little Isaac with his Go Ducks sign.
What a smarty!!! He'll be reading within the year! Jamie watched this with me and he was very inspired. He ran over and got a book and wanted to pick out letters like Isaac did. He got 95% wrong, but that's ok ;)
ReplyDeletewow! great job Isaac!
ReplyDelete