Look at this big piece of meat Papa got. Wow. It is a really big lamb shank. Papa went with his friend Ben today (and Ben's oldest daughter) to go kill a goat. When they got there, they decided to also kill a lamb. Mmm. Tasty.
Isaac and I got to spend time with Katie and the kids. Isaac loved it - there is Josephine who is about 5 months older than Isaac, and Freeman, who is a year younger, as well as two other older sisters (that were home). They had lots of fun jumping on the trampoline with the sprinkler, and Katie and I had fun catching up. It had been too long! Isaac and I were originally were going to go with Papa to kill the goat but I'm glad we opted not to. I am fine with killing animals to eat, but I just don't feel a compelling need to be involved with the gory details with these larger ones, especially when it is hot out...Give me a fish to filet or something.
I had a funny moment I wanted to share - at least it is funny to me. Papa is always better at finding expensive things for way cheaper (or free), while I like to save little bits here and there. I guess overall it is a good strategy, but sometimes I just feel like Papa wins.
Case in point: I went to Fred Meyer for what felt like the millionth time today to get freezer bags. Yay! Hefty freezer bags were on sale (through today) for 10/$10 (regular price $2.89). And I found a coupon in my purse for $1 off 2! So I got 7 things of freezer bags (13 bags each) for $5.95 total (I brought my own bag, of course, because those 5 cents add up over time). I told Papa about this monetary victory. Later, as we were packaging our meat in said freezer bags, Papa brought up how much they had paid for the goat and lamb (and divided the cost in half since each one took half of each). They paid just under $200 total, which is pretty good considering that just the lamb shank in the above picture would easily cost $75-100 in the store. Then he said apparently the lamb he caught (they had to catch their own - like u-pick with livestock??) - the farmer made a mistake and the lamb was supposed to be worth $300, but since they had already made a deal, paid, and slaughtered the lamb and goat at this point, the farmer would just take the loss. Saving a little over $10 long term on freezer bags, versus getting an animal for $200 less... yeah, Papa wins, again. :)
Pretty good savings and a freezer full of meat!
ReplyDelete