Thursday, October 15, 2009

midnight gardening

I'm pretty sure all my neighbors think I'm strange/creepy because I always have to go dig the hole for our compost at some crazy time of the night. In fact, all my great strides in "gardening" have been accomplished after 9 pm. Hm. I found one of those pretty pieces of glass (the round shiny ones) in the dirt tonight so that's my prize - that and my one pepper harvest from about a month ago and my three little garlic plants growing up. Well, also that we have freed up a bunch of our bowls again, but that's a peripheral bonus. It's alright, it's not like I need a ton of stuff in the garden. I think this year it is necessarily more experimental than it can be next year. Right now the goal is to put compost under the entire area of that little garden square, so the soil will be nice and rich for a fatty summer garden. I hope we get to keep the same plots next year. That would be sad to do all that work and then have to give up my little square. I have a feeling I'll be able to keep it though. I might find some more sticks to stake it out better and set up clearer boundaries for wandering children.

It was Auntie Anna's 18th birthday yesterday! Isaac and I rode the train(very nice way to travel - I recommend it) up to see her and I'm so glad we got to be there for that. She had some awesome cake that she shared with me, and we had a delicious dinner at Olive Garden. They don't give you anything for free at Olive Garden on your birthday though. That's so lame. They said, "We've heard too many stories." Well darnit, just check people's IDs then. If she turned 18 and she has a drivers license to prove her birthday, they should give you something. Having a fake ID just to get free stuff at a restaurant would be dumb.

I am still well behind on schoolwork, but since two tests are over now (and I most definitely aced the test today - probably the easiest test in my academic career to date), I feel like there is hope. There are some readings I can put off until I am caught up on the more pressing scholastic matters in my life. I just want to catch up sometime very very soon. Probably not tonight though... I'm very tired. I started falling asleep in Cecilia's afternoon class today, and that, my friends, is very hard to do. I guess Isaac will just have to spend a few extra hours at daycare tomorrow while I do some intense studying. Clearly the idea of catching up on the weekends has proved less than fruitful, so I will have to take matters into my own hands (or rather, use some other helping hands) on this one.

Aunt Christy and Uncle George had us over for dinner tonight. That was so nice of them! It was fun to see them. I feel like we've been so disconnected, which is really sad considering how close we live. As things become less hectic (really, will that ever happen?), hopefully we can visit more often. And, I got this chicken costume from Erin for Halloween for Isaac. It is WAY too cute and it makes me very excited for Halloween. I think they are going to have a Dia de los Muertos party and I hope we can go. :) I don't see Isaac needing candy this year, but I definitely need to show off this adorable costume.

No comments:

Post a Comment