Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Slings save lives, or sanity, or something like that.


Lately, I have started using all possible forms of trickery to get Isaac to let me have just a few minutes of time alone, or with free hands. This sounds bad - but it preserves my sanity. Usually this ends up with Isaac sleeping for two hours, and me thinking, retrospectively, of course, "Wow, I should have been sleeping then too.."
Form of trickery #1: The sling. Works almost every time. Isaac will stay asleep in this for hours. He knows the food is right there, and I think that reassures him.
Form of trickery #2: Bassinet + rolled up blankets, stuffed on either side of Isaac. This fools him into thinking he is sleeping next to someone. Effectiveness ranges from three minutes to 45 minutes.
Form of trickery #3: Swing. Mixed effectiveness. Usually more effective with Henri. Ranges from 30 seconds to 10 minutes.
To clarify, Isaac will stay glued to me all day if I do not use any of these forms of trickery, or his Grandma or Papa is here. And, he likes to nurse more than once an hour or he will scream his head off.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, trickery preserves sanity....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, I actually just wanted to revise my comment and not remove it.....
    and as I was adding another thought about slings and trickery I was thinking, yes, they probably have saved a life or two over the years....

    ReplyDelete