Saturday, June 20, 2009

stretch

These boys just love to sleep. Isaac slept almost all day yesterday, only waking up to eat, and then conveniently picked 12:30 am - 3:00 am to be awake, hungry and fussy. At 6 am he woke up, ate, and subsequently had a huge bubbly blowout (over the "stern" of the diaper, if you know what I mean and know some nautical terms) which landed my sweatpants and his sleeper in the laundry. As aforementioned, he is not a big fan of diaper changes, especially when they are urgent, feeding-interrupting diaper changes. This picture is from about 9:30 am.


I am sure he is growing longer. I tried to measure him this morning with my measuring tape and am pleased to announce that he is at least 22 inches now. I'll be curious to see what he is when we go to the pediatricians' again in another month. I'm going to try to measure him before then, though.

Whenever he wakes up, he stretches and then falls back asleep five to twenty times first. I have noticed that his dad is an expert at this as well. It looks something like this:


The plan or goal for today is to keep him awake for longer periods whenever he wakes up, and hopefully he will be a really good boy and sleep more at night tonight. We had a good long stretch this morning that tired him out. He looked at the Williams-Sonoma catalog some more, approved of the decorative seashell wreath and disapproved of the garbage cans advertised, then was "swung" a bit by his Papa, and then we tried some tummy time. He is able to do this sort of rotating thing where he changes the angle his body is at. This is why I like to place him perpendicular to the bed and far back when I change him. Today, however, he managed to turn himself from his tummy to his back. I guess he took a cue from his little cousin Louisa. These kids aren't waiting for any "typical" developmental milestones - six months? Are you kidding? That's waaaaay too long to wait. I was initially concerned that this was a sign that we can't use the bassinet anymore. However, first of all, I doubt he'll just do it spontaneously, for the fun of it. He didn't want to be on his tummy. Also, I know he can't go from his back to his tummy, and that would be the movement that would probably disqualify him from sleeping in the bassinet.

Yesterday, Isaac celebrated his four-weeks-old day by having me open his mail for him. He was awake for this part. All the mail was for him. I'm jealous. He got a cute little hat from his Great-Auntie Sue, and also his first bill. I told him I would pay it for him this time, but that he shouldn't get too dependent on me to take care of his financial concerns in the future. See exhibits below. Yes, I post too many pictures of Isaac. Oh well. Who wants to read my blabbing on anyways? I know almost everyone who is reading this just wants to look at baby pictures. Hi Mama :)

Pretty soon, we'll have to either go to Borders for a little walk, or see if we can wake this boy up to feed him and then let him look around and make a bunch of neural connections again.
















1 comment:

  1. Little Mister Isaac is getting so big! Of course I know you are starving him. Thanks for posting these pictures as it will be a long 5 days until I can see him again!

    ReplyDelete